Growing On Lettuce

My Grandad grew lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers for a living.  He ran his own nursery and I remember his vast glass greenhouses full of salad vegetables. If only he could see me now...

I found 3 packets of old lettuce seed, lost in the depths of my seed collection, so I threw them into some compost to see if anything would grow.  To my surprise, lots of them did!




Only one of my three trays failed, but that's good enough for me.  Tomorrow we are having baby salad leaves in our sandwiches. Lovely! You can weed out the crowded plants and eat the leaves  You can also 'cut and come again', leaving the growing tip to grow more leaves to harvest later...

This video link helps you to grow and care for your own lettuce, whatever the size of your space or windowsill.









Comments