Healthy or Luxury Fruit Fool?

I love to cook straight from my plot.  Nothing makes me happier than growing, cooking and feeding my family.  Fruit fool is a lovely tangy dessert and one that you can adapt to suit whatever fruit you have in season or in your garden.

This is my first fruit fool of the year. I used cream, gooseberries and a generous slug of home-made Elderflower Cordial to celebrate...

My favourite recipe is my own family-friendly low-calorie or higher calorie version.  You choose!

Fruit Fool

1k stewed fruit
2tbsp sugar
1 large carton (500g) natural yoghurt or custard
(or 250g custard and 250ml whipped cream for the luxury version)
2tbsp water
2tbsp honey


  • First, wash and stew the fruit.
  • Put the fruit in the pan with 2tbsp water and 2 tbsp sugar.
  • Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or so, until fruit is soft and just cooked.
  • Set aside to cool.  When cold, blitz in the food processor or blender.
  • If the fruit has large seeds (like the gooseberries below) you can sieve the fruit at this point.
  • Put fruit into a bowl and add the carton of natural yoghurt/custard, stirring gently until blended. If using cream, whip it up and fold in...
  • Sweeten with honey to taste...

Link to my Elderflower Cordial Recipes here if you wish to make your own cordial, but shop-bought works equally well, too. 

Comments