On the Plot This Week...

It has been one of my worst years on the plot. This week I also had a mouse attack! It dug up every pot in the picture below. Perhaps that's why my reluctant husband weeded a big patch to help me get some order out there. If my weeds were vegetables, I'd be laughing!


The mouse also chewed through several of  my replacement bean plants, but I had enough left to plant out and if the weather holds, the sunshine will bring them on.  As consolation, I admire my glorious, flowering weeds! I grow weeds really well...


When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...
  • The chamomile will make a relaxing herbal tea for me (above) 
  • The weeds will make a great feed for my plants.  Weed and feed! 

Onwards ...

Fighting back on all fronts is the best way forward. I use search and destroy tactics with slugs at night... and environmentally-friendly methods by day (wool pellets to protect my sweetcorn plants and an organic powdery grit on the beans). I have one friend who re-homes her slugs on waste-ground, away from her allotment!  We have rabbits and pigeons and have to protect against them, too. There is always hope.  Look at my beans flowering!


Now, I am digging up my first potatoes, picking peas, redcurrants, blackcurrants and gooseberries.  Summer is here, even if the garden doesn't know it.  I can't wait to make jams, jellies and summer puddings...

More about those in later posts and recipes to follow... Have a great weekend and thank you for reading my blog.


Comments

  1. Oh bless you....we all have had bad years on our plots but we just have to pick ourselves up and make the best of it. The only consolotion is that if you are having a bad year, then everyone around you will be too. Keep going you are doing great XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my new blog. You're right, I'm not alone in having a bad year and next year will be different again. The apples are looking good, so maybe they will be my winners this year! Thank you so much for your kind words of support, just when I needed a bit of encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment