Scones for Tea

I love scones.   Years ago, my friend Lynn would batch-bake and and freeze some for later..  She had a family and her organisation impressed me. Organisation for me back then was: could I go out clubbing all night and get up for work the next day?!  Now, with a family of my own, I batch-bake too.  I freeze my extra scones so I can just pull out a bag, ready for tea or to pop in a lunchbox at a moment's notice.


Last weekend I baked scones, ready for the school fete this weekend.  With a busy week of school trips (and that's just me!) and after-school activities there was no way I could make them during the week.  I froze them a week ahead and pulled them out the night before - easy-peasy!  I took a tin full of buttered, jammy scones to the fete and brought the tin home empty. Hooray: that's what I call a result.

 

My Favourite Scone Recipe (Makes 12)

350 g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
85 g butter, in small cubes
175 ml low-fat yoghurt
1 beaten egg to glaze

  • Heat oven to 200C/180C/Gas mark 6
  • Mix flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and rub in, until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  • Make a well in the centre and pour in the yoghurt.  Mix lightly to form a soft dough.
  • Transfer dough to a lightly-floured surface and roll out to a 2.5cm/1" thickness.  Stamp out rounds using a medium-sized cutter.
  • Roll the cut-off pieces of dough together and stamp out more rounds.
  • Put scones on a baking tray and brush the tops with the beaten egg. 
  • Pop into the pre-heated oven and cook for 12-15 minutes.

Serve with jam and butter, strawberries and clotted cream...

Recipe adapted from: The BBC Good Food Booklet, Let's Cook: 52 Cakes, Bakes and Chocolate...

Here are some extra-special savoury scone recipes
Cheese and Bacon Scones     by Jonesy at Allrecipes
Stilton and Walnut Scones      by Ruth Tott at The Home Farmer
Cheese Scones with a Twist    by MamaMaguire at Allrecipes
Wild Garlic and Feta Scones  by Ruth Tott at The Home Farmer

Comments