Favourite Patterns!

I have sewed all my life, just like my Mum before me.  Here are a few key patterns that remind us of when we were having the times of our lives!  I love to rifle through my Mum's patterns because of all the memories associated with them and now my daughters are starting to do the same...


Mum made her own wedding dress, but not before cutting out two left sleeves! She rushed back to the shop and luckily they still had that fabric and she was able to make the right sleeve and finish her dress... Women often made their own wedding dresses in the 1960's, but not anymore.


I remember my Mum making fashionable dresses in the 1970's and if I was lucky and there was fabric left over, she would make me a dress or a skirt to match.  My friends were envious of the fact that she made time to make clothes especially for me...



Here's my cape!  Mum made this up in a bright pink and navy wool check and it was beautiful.  How I loved that cape and how sad I was, when I grew out of it... There is still a scrap of this material in her 'Bit Bag'.


Ooh this just oozes the 1980's!  We made several of these blouses, together, when I started work in an office.  Nipped in waists, big puffy sleeves and huge shoulder pads were the height of fashion.  I thought this pattern made me look so sophisticated and efficient! :)


When it came to my own wedding, I struggled to find a dress, so Mum and I headed off to Birmingham.  We found ourselves down at the Rag Market, where we spotted this pattern: it was perfect!  Mum made my wedding dress in a heavy cream satin.  She did a wonderful job and I felt fabulous in that dress on the day!

Did you have a DIY Wedding or make your own wedding outfit? Drop me a line and share your memories with us here! We would love to hear from you...

Comments