Under Bed Storage Boxes

This project was a happy accident!  We were throwing out an old divan bed, with two drawers.  In fact, my husband was chopping it up and putting it in the skip and I only just stopped him in time...

At the time I needed storage for the children.  I came up with this idea of transforming the two drawers into under-bed storage boxes on castors for easy-access.

I mounted four blocks of wood under each box (to give the drawer enough height for the castors to roll - but you may not need to do this depending on the style of your box/drawer) I glued these on with extra-strong wood glue and attached the castors to them.  Mine came from Ikea and cost £3 for a pack of 4.


 If you don't have an old drawer, you could use an old crate or box: paint it, sand it down and varnish it or wax it. I made a cover for mine, like a shower cap!

The front of the box had been covered in divan material which was old and worn.  I cut a piece of material out approximately 8cm larger all round to allow for a 2cm seam on all sides. (in which to thread elastic).  With elastic in, pulled tight and knotted, the bright fabric gave it a new lease of life.

Best of all, my kids have a box each to stuff their toys in and keep their bits together, but out of sight. They are easily pulled out from under the bed and the kids can tidy up themselves.  Hooray! :)












Comments