Girl's Cross-Over Apron Tutorial

Want to make a cute girl's crossover apron dress?   I created one for my tomboy, to wear over T-shirt and leggings. See how I did it below and follow the tutorial links at the bottom of the page.

I used an existing A Line dress as a guide for the front and made up my own pattern for the back, using newspaper.  The back pieces have to include shaping for the shoulders and back.  I could not simply copy the shape from the front piece as it would not hang properly. 


Adjustments need to be made at the top of the shoulders and side seams to get the back to drape properly. This is why newspaper is useful because it is easier than pattern paper to handle. The final result was transferred to pattern paper and used to make the apron below (after adding a 1.5cm seam allowance).


The finished Apron has hemmed edges and an oversize pocket outlined with ricrac for a bit of fun!  

You can make a similar apron using this link to Children's Cross-Back Apron Tutorial and there is a great tutorial here for Hemming a Curved Edge.  

Other Links
Check out my Sew Board on Pinterest for a variety of adult cross-back patterns and more sewing tips, patterns and tutorials.

Visit SowSewCookGrow on Pinterest for more gardening info, cooking recipes, sewing links and children's crafts.

Do you enjoy drafting clothes from scratch or do you prefer to stick to a pattern?  I would love to hear your comments on this.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  Happy sewing :)

Comments