Making new House Plants from Old!

I have some houseplants that are too big and tired to keep.  They are taking up too much of my time, but rather than throw them out straightaway, I thought I'd propagate them.

Doing it the lazy way I cut off 4 Spider plantlets, which grow on long stems. 


If you cut these off with a length of stem and pop them in a jug of water, they will grow roots.


Below is a cutting from my Kalanchoe, which I had last Christmas!  I chopped off 4 side shoots to make 4 new plants.  I pulled all but 3 pairs of leaves off  and cut diagonally across the bottom of the stem and popped it into an egg cup filled with water.


From 4 Kalanchoe cuttings, 2 grew and the remainder are growing roots slowly...


All 4 Spider Plant cuttings grew into bright, shiny little plants. Once the roots grew, they were potted on into fresh compost.


Hooray!  I think I will take one for my Mum as a gift when I visit her this weekend :)

Tradescantia is another easy house plant to take cuttings and root in water.  Do you have any favourites?  Tell us about them below...

Thank you for reading my blog today!

Comments