Why Buy Vintage?

Old things have always fascinated me.  As a student on a small budget, I could not afford trendy clothes, so I chose vintage.  I wore my Grandad's real Grandad Shirts over leggings and pixi-boots.  I borrowed Mum's red beret from her student days and I would scour the second-hand shops for interesting clothes.


Grandparents sometimes save interesting pieces of fashion jewellery.  I have this amazing 1970's stainless steel necklace that belonged to my Nan. Back in the day, it was the height of fashion!


From my Grandad, I received several jackets.  He was a small man and being a tall girl, they fitted perfectly.  We were a similar height.  My favourite was a linen jacket with mother-of-pearl buttons.  I wore it all the time.  He also gave me several waistcoats, which I still have today.  They are a perfect fit and were beautifully made, hand finished. See below...


Then there were Mum's cousins who enjoyed lavish parties in their 1950's heyday.  They kept their beautiful fitted dresses with cinched in waists and passed them on to me, but sadly many of these were too big.  However a couple did fit: this cream lace shift dress and the elegant brown dress, woven with metallic gold thread.  Classic clothes like these don't look out of place today.



My best vintage buy was a peach silk blouse with mother-of-pearl buttons and pretty hand-sewn detail on the collar.  It was 1940's or 1950's in style. I bought it from a tiny Vintage Shop on a day-trip to Warwick for 50p in a bargain bucket!  


Comments