In the Garden This Week!

Despite being ill with an ear infection, I am excited about the bird life in my garden! There are blue tits checking out our old bird-box, darting about enthusiastically. They keep flying across the garden, landing in the fruit trees and popping in and out the hedgerow.  It seems early, but Spring is on the way...

I cannot bring myself to replace the bird box below, in case the blue tits fail to return!  They nest in this old apple tree every year and are a delight to watch.


A wren has taken up residence near the compost heap, to catch passing insects. This part of the garden is also a favoured haunt of robins, blackbirds and thrush.  The hedgerows are an important place for small birds to hide and forage for food.  Ours is a mixed hedgerow and still provides plenty of shelter.

I had a fine view of a buzzard last week.  My Father-in-Law spotted him as he looked up the garden. It was a rare treat to see a magnificent buzzard up close.  He flew into a damson tree and perched there for some time.

Maybe this is the reason we haven't seen many rabbits recently!

As I type this, I hear the call of the Buzzard again and a pair land in a large tree adjacent to my window... I nearly fell off my chair: things are looking up!  Run rabbits run...

Hear the Call of the Common Buzzard - by Hector Wright

Thank you for reading my blog :)

Links

Comments