Happy Days!

I cannot tell you how happy I am today! The birds are singing and a buzzard is soaring.  The bees are buzzing and the bulbs are flowering.  Even the sun is shining today.


I made a large pot of Spaghetti Bolognese, which will feed us tonight and the rest of the year by the look of it!  It is handy to have a large slow-cooker because you make a batch, freeze it in tubs and have home-made 'ready meals' on standby.


I planted my early potatoes (Arran Pilot) which thrive in our soil.   For me, this signals the beginning of my growing year.  I like to do most of my vegetable sowing in the ground and have to wait for the soil to warm up.


Last year, I had to wait for the rain to stop!  It took 3 lots of bean plants before they would take, but we were rewarded by a super crop (see below)  Apart from the cold and the rain, the slugs were having a ball, so I increased the slug defences needed.  Check out this old post On the Plot This Week: find the slug and click on the website at the bottom of the page to find a myriad of ways to rid yourself of slugs!


Back to the seeds now and I have got seed trays ready to plant tomatoes and salad leaves in my mini-greenhouse. Most of my seeds will have to wait, as I like to sow them directly into the soil.  I can't wait to plant my wildflower seeds.


I have learnt that wild flowers are a wonderful addition to a vegetable garden.  They attract the bees and add beauty and interest to your plot as well as helping you get good crops of fruit and veg.

Life feels good, now Spring is here!  
On with your wellies, everyone :)
Links
Slug Off! Get rid of slugs and snails
Check out my Cook Board on Pinterest for more recipes, including some for the Slow Cooker. 

Comments