Harvest and Halloween on the Veg Plot!

We have had a great harvest this year.  Weather is a huge factor. We had lots of beans!  I put this down to digging a trench in early Spring and and filling it up with home-made compost, before planting the beans. The rain and sunshine then worked their magic.

 First pickings of beans, beetroot and peas.

Something else I learned (the hard way) is to plant carrots with onions, which worked brilliantly.  I planted F1 Hybrid Flyaway, a more resistant variety and covered them with a fine mesh. Last year, I had a handful of maggoty carrots: this year I have have had a fine crop with no holes!


The Blauschokker peas, with their purple flowers and black pods look and taste superb.  I will definitely grow them next year.


Last year I had three courgettes: it was their worst year on this plot.  This year, thanks to the weather, they have been prolific :)


Our favourite  courgette recipes:
Gorgeous Courgette Soup!  an old, much-used recipe from Granny.
Courgette Cake - Spicy, moist and very moreish!
Chocolate Courgette Muffins - always popular with kids and parents with the bonus of hidden veg.

This year, I have a bumper crop of pumpkins (over 20!)  small Sugar pumpkins and Blue Crown Prince.  These are perfect for Halloween, carving and eating.  See the recipes below.


For Bonfire Night and Halloween I am making the Kids Favourite Chocolate Chip Muffins and Katie's Easy Pumpkin Soup which is delicious.

Happy Halloween Everyone :)

Comments